Sunday 18 March 2012

The Artist

On the weekend I finally got around to seeing The Artist. My opinion.... I thought it was good, very good in fact... and certainly interesting.

I think what makes it interesting is that comes across as an artefact from another age, which allows us to break with the typical expectations that we have from a modern film. The film has a light hearted playful campiness, that marks it out in our cynical age (the Descendents it is most certainly not). 

I think it is the nostalgic tropes that allows us to suspend our eye rolling cynicism and run away with this beautiful piece of escapism. If the film was a full colour all speaking period piece on the era of the silent cinema, it would come across as over the top and unbelievable.

However, being a film that genuinely looked and felt like something from the past, it allowed the audience to make exceptions to the realism that we have come to expect from films. Once we were in this vintage mindset we could simply relish the exaggerated wide-eyed expressions and fantastical plot.

I wonder if this film could spark a revival in silent cinema. I for one would love to see some more silent films, since I loved the level of concentration I gave to the screen and the added emotional intensity the absence of dialogue gave to the musical score.

Well, enough of my views. Let's hear from Alex, Thoughtfully Tooting's resident film critic (sort of). Oh and the quality of the recording is pretty dreadful, lots of very noisy wind! Lesson: never record an interview next to a bridge! Seriously, what was I thinking. I guess I always have to learn the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment